Applications for the 2021/22 academic year are now closed. Please check back here in winter 2021 for information regarding the next awards cycle.
Fulbright Israel plans to award up to eight fellowships for senior faculty members, professionals, or accomplished artists or writers for visits to Israeli institutions of higher education, to be carried out during the 2021/22 academic year. The program is open to all fields of knowledge; scholars’ proposed activities may include research, lecturing, or a combination of lecturing and research. The grants will support visits of four months. Assistant professor or higher academic rank (or equivalent professional standing) is required.
For more information please click here
Additional general information on the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program may be found on the website of the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).
- $6,000/month for unaccompanied grantees.
- $6,500/month for grantees accompanied by one dependent.
- $7,000/month for grantees accompanied by two or more dependents.
- Reimbursement of airfare expenses (U.S. – Israel, under the Fly America act) for Fulbright fellow (and spouse)
- Partial reimbursement of children's education expenses and fees
- Limited health insurance for the grantee only.
- Orientation meetings and other grantee events during the course of the year
Eligibility requirements apply at the time of application. For full details on all Fulbright U.S. Scholar program eligibility requirements, see the CIES website.
- A letter of invitation from an accredited Israeli institution of higher education is required at the time of application. Candidates must be hosted by an accredited Israeli institution of higher education. For the complete list of such institutions, click here.
- Each candidate should arrange his/her institutional affiliations in Israel independently, including development of the program of work for the proposed visit through contacts with possible host institutions.
- Per Fulbright Israel policy, candidates should take into account that host institutions are asked to make a financial contribution of $2,000 to the Foundation, which is credited toward overall grant benefits. The matter of this mandatory contribution should be raised in preliminary discussions with potential hosts and the commitment to provide the funds should be included in the letter of invitation.
For full details on the Fulbright U.S. Scholar review process, see the CIES website. During its review of the recommended pool of applications, Fulbright Israel applies the following criteria:
- Academic excellence (or equivalent professional or artistic excellence) is the primary criterion for the evaluation of candidates.
- Leadership qualities are an important evaluation criterion.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not had substantial, recent professional experience in Israel.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not had previous Fulbright grants.
- Hebrew/Arabic language proficiency is not an evaluation criterion.
- Possession of skills required to promote mutual understanding between the United States and Israel is an important evaluation criterion.
The Foundation wishes to emphasize that, while stressing professional qualifications, it is interested in achieving representation of the various geographic regions and ethnic groups of the United States in the panel of American Fulbright Fellows.
The Foundation reserves the exclusive right to determine, within the framework of applicable law and regulations, the qualitative standards for the evaluation of applications forwarded to it by the responsible agency in the United States. The Foundation is not under any obligation to provide the reasons for its decisions regarding the allocation of Fellowships.
The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program is administered for the CIES. Details on the program and on submission of applications may be found on the CIES website.
Those interested may also contact the CIES staff member responsible for the Middle East region for further information on the application process at email@example.com.